The John Slyder farm was on the western side of Big Round Top, just down Plum Run from the Devil’s
Den. John had moved from Maryland and bought the 75-acre farm in 1849. By the 1860’s it included a
two-story stone house, barn, blacksmith and carpenter shops, an orchard of peach and pear trees,
thirty acres of timber, and eighteen acres of meadow. On July 2 Confederate General John B. Hood's
Division swept across Slyder’s farm in its advance toward the Devil’s Den and Little Round Top.
The crops and orchards were trampled and destroyed, and the farm buildings became a Confederate
field hospital, with the family’s possessions looted or spoiled.
Two months after the battle, in September, John sold the farm and moved to Ohio. The Slyder family
had connections with other Gettysburg families. John’s wife Catherine was the sister of Lydia Leister,
whose house became General Meade’s headquarters during the battle. And in October of 1863 John’s
son William married Josephine Miller, the granddaughter of Peter and Susan Rogers, whose farm lay
on Emmitsburg Road.
This is a 28mm Wargaming Scale kit and is supplied with pre-painted MDF.
This kit features hinged doors and removable roof for internal access.
Length 290mm x Width 220mm x Height 120mm
Designed by Things From The Basement, manufactured by Tymeagain.
Miniatures are for scale purposes and are not included.
Farms Of Gettysburg: Slyder Barn
- Product Code: 28-HAB-14
- Stock Status: In Stock
- Ex Tax: £50.00